Thursday, January 14, 2016

Breaking Up With Sugar...and other bad crap!

Hello. My name is Sarah and I am a sugar addict. 

I never looked at food like an addiction until a month ago. I was noticing that I needed, not wanted, NEEDED my coffee in the morning to function.  What good is a cup of coffee if it also isn't sweet and yummy?!? Mommy treats I call them.  I deserve these fancy cups of hot goodness!!  Problem, after said cup of saving grace I didn't feel found...I felt lost. Literally lost.  My head felt like there was this weird cloud inside.  I could not concentrate. What good is energy from caffeine if I can't remember what I needed it for? Oh yeah, I remember, I needed it to function and not be a meanie mommy.  So my sugar now affects my family life.  Yikes. 

I have been trying to eat well.  I have taken periods of time to count calories and participate in weight loss challenges.  I would pick healthy foods, watch my caloric intake, drink more water, move a bit more, wear my cool new yoga pants accessory called a FitBit.  Not much was happening.  I saw little progress. What I was not paying attention to was my snaking, the various cheat days, those sugary coffees and other "mommy treats".  The bowl of ice cream after a long day. I don't drink wine. I can't leave my home due to the kids.  My escape is food. And not just any food, indulgent sugary treats and drinks.  In my mind as long as it wasn't everyday and all the time and I tried to eat well I should still feel and look better.  Um....no.

Last month I was noticing that when I wasn't eating sugar I would CRAVE it.  It would call to me all day.   I would give in and then immediately feel like crap.  Not emotionally like crap. I mean I physically was ill.  I would have a headache because I needed sugar.  I would eat the sugar and then get a headache after the crash.  I would feel bloated and miserable.  I would then crave more sugar. And so......  I realized I am a sugar addict.  

This epiphany along with some research led me to Paleo.  I am consuming no added or refined sugar, grains, or dairy.  

I'm ready to break up with Sugar!

No comments: